Remarks: This beautiful 1949 Cessna 195 was originally registered N9302A. On 24 April 1966 it suffered a gear collapse after a ground loop on landing at Bunker Hill AFB, Peru, Indiana. It was exported to Australia in 2000 and re-registered VH-ONF on 10 August that year. Seen here at the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's National Fly-in.
Remarks: All is not as it seems! This Tiger is a rebuild whose original identity was A17-322, brought on RAAF charge on 14 April 1941. Sold in June 1946, it became VH-AYX. Retired at Alice Springs in December 1965. Rebuilt at Luskintyre and re-registered VH-UTD on 15 December 1995, painted to represent the original VH-UTD which was the first Tiger Moth imported into Australia for the Newcastle Aero Club in June 1935, and named 'Halcyon'.
Remarks: This aircraft was formerly the Cessna Asia-Pacific demonstrator, N400NM. Shortly after the Avalon Airshow, on 6 April 2009, the aircraft was re-registered in Australia as VH-CSV(4). Based in Hay, NSW, it was visiting the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's National Fly-in.
Remarks: This Griffith-based Aerobat is heading out for a local flight. Built in 1975, it was initially registered with the 'trade-plate' N8122V before being exported to Australia and registered VH-TIA on 18 August that year.
Remarks: This lovely and snazzily-painted 1948 Cessna 140, named 'Xena', was originally registered in the USA as N72877. In 1990 it came to Australia and was registered VH-WKG on 28 March that year. It's seen here taxying for departure from the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's National Fly-in.
Remarks: Built by De Havilland Australia for the RAAF as A17-518 & BOC 8 Jun 42. Served with various NSW AOS & EFTS. Overhauled by DHA in 1944 & allocated rebuild cn T222. Post-war stored at Narrandera until sold to the Australian Assoc of Aero Clubs on 14 Feb 47. Converted for civil use with a canopy and registered VH-BGX. Damaged by Cyclone Tracy in Darwin on Christmas Day 1974. Risen from the ashes and restored as VH-DHA(5) on 16 January 2002. Seen here at the AAAA National Fly-in.
Remarks: 'Salvation Jane' at the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's National Fly-in. Built by De Havilland Australia at Mascot, NSW, in 1942 and was one of a batch to serve with 9EFTS at Cunderdin, WA. This aircraft seems to have been a late starter in its civil career, having first been registered as VH-BTM as late as 5 May 1954. It seems to have suffered a crash in 1959 or 60 and to have been resurrected as VH-AUZ in 1994.
Remarks: 'Raptor' arriving at Griffith for some Anzac Day work. This Blackhawk was originally ordered for the RAAF and first flew on 28 October 1989. In the meantime the Government decreed that the RAAF's helicopters would be transferred to the Army, and this aircraft was delivered directly to the Army.
Remarks: The original VH-AQJ was delivered to the RAAF in 1940 as A17-26, one of the first Australian-manufactured Tigers. Post-war, civilianised and registered VH-AQJ for the Tasmanian Aero Club, Launceston, on 3 April 1946. In the mid-'50s converted to Ag Tiger. Retired Oct 1965 & stored dismantled at Parafield. Most parts used in 1973 restoration, but unfortunately aircraft destroyed in a crash Dec '79. Other parts from original were used as the basis of this Luskintyre rebuild which first flew Oct '84.