JETPHOTOS.NET

Photo of N951LF Airbus A320-232 by Tal Erickson Expand image
Views: 1,004,145

Aircraft

Location

Photographer

Notes:

How would you feel if you look out your window and saw this?

Comments (23)
Posted by Jo Zauleck on November 22, 2016

Scarebus!

Posted by Nikita on November 07, 2015

Disaster!!!

Posted by Michael S Zarb on November 11, 2014

That is scary!!!!

Posted by Joey M on July 30, 2014

I thought it was a 737. Is it?

Posted by pierleonardo on September 10, 2013

terrific !!

Posted by mike on May 10, 2008

what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on September 28, 2007

freaken out what did u do or wat did they do

Posted by VRN2200 on March 01, 2007

Man I would freak out !!!

Posted by Nodrog on January 20, 2007

Jet engines are designed to fly without cowling. Damage to part of the wing or a stabilizer is a possibility but the real danger is where the cowling hit the ground. Apparently no one on the ground was hurt.

Posted by 1146 on November 24, 2006

If I saw this out side my window I would instantly buy a fare on Amtrak.

Posted by Blargh on October 09, 2006

That's the kinda of thing that only happens to a airbus... Airbus is faded to failure because of the a380, boeing rocks.

Posted by Rich (a real Pilot) on August 14, 2006

You guys need to calm down a bit. What obviously happened is the engine cover screws or latch were not closed correctly and the high speed air caught the cover and pulled it off. Yes, this was a major mistake. But considering the thousands of jets flying and the very minimal number of in flight incidents, _ _ _ _ happens. I'm sure the mechanic lost his job. As for the air worthiness of the jet, there should have been no problems unless the metal damaged the horizontal stabilizer. That would be unlikely due to gravity. This would be like driving with no hood on your car. Even with engine failure, a return to landing shouldn't be that eventful. Remember flying commercially is safer than driving to work by far. As far as the photo, it's either the original or a copy, not taken from a magazine or TV, the resolution is too good for a picture scanned or copied.

Posted by STEVE SPEARS on July 13, 2006

How would I feel if I looked out the window and saw this? #1; Shut the window shade. #2; Pay the lavatory a visit and clean my drawers. #3; Calmly return to my assigned seat and order three doubles-back to back. What would you do??

Posted by Nick in Atlanta on June 17, 2006

If the cowling didn't hit the wing when it came loose and there are no other structural problems then this plane was safe to make a quick return and landing, but if the cowling had damaged the wing we would never have seen this picture. I'm thinking of the EL AL B747 freighter that crashed a few minutes after takeoff from AMS.

Posted by Diego Alonso Romero Alvarado - SJO Spotter on September 18, 2005

I am sure that, this wasn´t a happy flight.

Posted by Eric Geffon on June 06, 2005

Your right he doesn't mention he was in the plane, perhaps he was on the wing when he stole this photo!

Posted by Nick Blowers on April 10, 2005

This incident occured on July 13th, 2004. During take-off, the outboard section of the aircraft's #1 engine cowling came open and separated as the aircraft departed runway 27R at Atlanta. The remainder of the cowling also broke away and was recovered from a road about 7 miles from the airport. The pilot reported that he had felt the aircraft shudder, quickly followed by a flight attendant reporting that a passenger had seen a 'cover' come off the engine. Initially there had been no cockpit indications of a problem but, while the aircraft was returning to Atlanta, the No.1 engine oil quantity indicator amber light came on. The pilot declared an emergency, however, the engine continued to operate normally and the aircraft landed safely. The accident happened in daylight (1200L) and in VMC. The aircraft was operating a flight to Orlando, Florida.

Posted by tanus1973 on March 15, 2005

He doesn't mention that he was in the plane................

Posted by greggy on December 31, 2004

Hey Tal, Is this picture really real? I don't think that this engine would be airworthy. If this is real, how did this happen?

Posted by Daniel Piotrowski on November 11, 2004

I agree. I have the FAA report on this incident and it happened in July 2004 in Atlanta, NOT Connecticut. The cowling came off just after takeoff from ATL. The cowling was recovered in a field in Forest Park and the aircraft returned to ATL immediately. They were barely 3 minutes into the flight, let alone all the way to Connecticut! And I, too, would remember the date of this flight forever. Admin needs to delete this photo from the database, or at least give proper credit to whoever the photographer is.

Posted by Rotate on October 06, 2004

I highly doubt that this picture is taken by the photographer hiself !!!!!! U have been on that flight and dont know , when it happend? I dont believe that! also this picture has been in a lot of newsmagazines on the internet .... , it is just taken away from there .... shame on you!

Posted by Sky on October 06, 2004

I think your right Rotate, I've seen that picture a lot of times on the internet. And if he took that shot, why doesn't he remember the date? I would never forget the day, if I was on that plane.

Posted by Ulf Svensson on September 30, 2004

Did you make an emergency landing due to this? And did "the problem" occure during the flight?

Name on comment:

Enter your comment(s) below...

Note: Comments must be posted in English. Comments will be screened for correct grammar and punctuation prior to inclusion. No excessive punctuation (!!!!) or ALL CAPS submissions please.

EXIF stands for Exchangeable Image File Format. It was developed by the Japanese Electronics Industry Development Association (JEIDA) in an effort to simplify and standardize the exchange of data between imaging devices and software. Exif is a variation of JPEG, used by almost all digital cameras to record extra interchange information to image files as they are taken. The type of information stored in a file varies by camera model, but it can include such things as date and time a photo was taken, resolution, camera settings used for the shot, amount of compression applied, color information, whether or not the flash was fired, shutter speed, name of the camera owner, and so on.

Most photo manipulation software released after 2001 supports the reading of Exif information, however, if you want to ensure that the information is retained within your picture files, you must use software that supports Exif. The Exif information is lost if you save a picture in a program that doesn't support it. There is also specialized software specifically for extracting and editing Exif data.

Please be aware that, while most photos displayed on JetPhotos.Net contain EXIF information, some do not.