Rita and Continental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rita and Continental

Now that Rita is expected to reach landfall Saturday morning, how badly is this going to effect Continentals operations. However even if this hurricane drops to a 4 upon landfall this will still become a very powerfull storm. So if it hits hard enough its a possibility that wind damage could severely cripple Continentals operations, possibly cancelling thousands of flights for a couple days. What do you guys think is going to happen to Continental here in the next couple of days since operations may become severely crippled?

I'll bet they fly their Fleet out of the path of a CAT 5 Huricane

and if it wasnt already the worst place to connect... Newark is going to be a parkinglot.

Comment

Chapter 11???
      O'Hare - The Aviation God's greatest creation, or their greatest mistake? you be the judge!

Comment

Most outbound flights from Houston are going to outbound stations late this afternoon and staying put until it's time to head back. Operations to Houston by Continental are suspended with the exception of a very limited schedule on Friday, which ends at noon. Ops will return slowly over late Saturday, throughout Sunday, with anticipation of being 100% as early as Monday in the best case scenario.

"Spare" fleet is being sent to Newark, Cleveland, and Orlando.

Comment

Do they have any planes in MX hangars down there? Hopefully the hangars can weather the storm. Oh yeah and please keep your thoughts with my family, I've got relatives evacuating Friendswood (near Houston) to relatives in Austin.

Comment

I wasnt after what they would do with the planes, I know they wouldnt likely let them just sit there, I was wondering how badly this will hurt them financially, how many cancellations, re routing etc.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
              I wasnt after what they would do with the planes, I know they wouldnt likely let them just sit there, I was wondering how badly this will hurt them financially, how many cancellations, re routing etc.
              Since what they do with the planes affects the finances, cancellations, and re-routing....................................

Comment

Now is the perfect time to go to CO's "most hate airline" biggest hub and start a bunch of new flights.

Comment

Financially, CO shouldn't have any problems. Most everyone has been rebooked for later dates or on OAL. Continental Express ceased operations at noon on Thursday and begin flying aircraft out, mainly to St. Louis and Knoxville. Operations for Express are expected to be up and running Monday morning. Continental ceased operations at noon on Friday and should be up and running Monday morning as well. With fares as low as they are, and with Cleveland and Newark still up and running, Continental shouldn't lose too much money. Continental is still incurring labor costs (since the airport is shut down, they still have to pay employees at least for the first day whether they work or not) and minimal fuel costs (repo of aircraft). With a lot of the passengers being rebooked for a later date, Continental still keeps the money, they will just have higher load factors once the weather clears. Either way, breakeven load factor is currently scheduled to be 92% for the month, and we are sitting waaaaaay below that at about 77% so far. Continental is predicting a helluva loss through the rest of the year, so Rita won't make that much of an impact when you look at the big picture.
                  Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

They are better leaving them out of the hanger in case the hangar collapse's or the hangars roof is blown off.

Comment

There is a CO 737-500 that has been parked uphere in YEG since thursday night,dont know when she will head back home to IAH?
                      Fly Edmonton first.Canadas gateway to the north.

Comment

Originally posted by assghanistan
                        so Rita won't make that much of an impact when you look at the big picture.
                        you've just completely contradicted yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by stlgph
                          you've just completely contradicted yourself.
                          how so?.......

CO expects big losses for the year. Rita will affect CO financially but, no matter their losses due to Rita, it will only be a small dent when looking at the big picture (total annual loss).
                          Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Originally posted by assghanistan
                            how so?.......

Financially, CO shouldn't have any problems. Most everyone has been rebooked for later dates or on OAL.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Continental Express ceased operations at noon on Thursday and begin flying aircraft out, mainly to St. Louis and Knoxville. Operations for Express are expected to be up and running Monday morning.

2. Continental ceased operations at noon on Friday and should be up and running Monday morning as well.

3. With fares as low as they are, and with Cleveland and Newark still up and running, Continental shouldn't lose too much money.

4. Continental is still incurring labor costs (since the airport is shut down, they still have to pay employees at least for the first day whether they work or not)

5. and minimal fuel costs (repo of aircraft).

6. With a lot of the passengers being rebooked for a later date, Continental still keeps the money, they will just have higher load factors once the weather clears.

7. Either way, breakeven load factor is currently scheduled to be 92% for the month, and we are sitting waaaaaay below that at about 77% so far.

(and why do you think #7 is?)

Comment

Originally posted by stlgph
                              (and why do you think #7 is?)
                              i'm sorry..... i still don't get your point........ tell me again what #7 has to do with Rita?

Continental will not do good this quarter (hence the 77% load factor vs. the 92% breakeven load factor for September). Rita should not have that much of an impact on the overall shitty financial situation that Continental is ALREADY facing. i.e. If Continental loses $100M in September, the $5M they lost because of Rita isn't going to make that big of a difference....
                              Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X